Paul L DeSandre, DO
Palliative and Supportive Care, Grady Health Systems
Department of Emergency Medicine
49 Jesse Hill Jr Dr
Atlanta, GA 30303
Dr. Paul L. DeSandre currently the Director of Palliative and Supportive Care at Grady Health System and the Program Director for the Fellowship in Hospice and Palliative Medicine at Emory University School of Medicine. He is the former Associate Residency Director for Emergency Medicine for the Albert Einstein College of Medicine program in Emergency Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY, and has a strong interest in medical education. His focus of interest is on the integration of Emergency Medicine and Palliative Medicine. He currently serves on the Advisory Board for the Improving Palliative Care in Emergency Medicine (IPAL-EM) as part of the Center for the Advancement of Palliative Care. He also serves on the Expert Council Advisory Panel and is a Master Facilitator in the NCI sponsored Education in Palliative and End of Life Care-Emergency Medicine (EPEC-EM) Project.
His academic interests include educational interventions for the integration of Palliative Medicine into standard emergency medicine practice and residency training, as well as methods to incorporate effective palliative interventions in the emergency department for cancer pain and other symptom management.
- Medical School, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, Kansas City, MO
- Internship, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Residency, Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine, Chicago, IL
- Fellowship, Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY
Board Certification: American Board of Emergency Medicine (Board certified since 1993); Family Practice (Board certified since 2008); Subspecialty: Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- DeSandre PL, Giving hospice patients the care they deserve, Emergency Medicine. 2007;39(12):30-36.
- Safdar B, Heins A, Homel P, Miner J, Neighbor M, DeSandre P, Todd KH. Impact of physician and patient gender on pain management in the emergency department-a multicenter study. Pain Medicine. 2009;10(2):364-372.
- DeSandre PL, Quest TE. Management of cancer-related pain. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America 2009;27(2):179-194.
- DeSandre PL, Quest TE. Management of cancer-related pain. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America 2010;24(3):643-658. (Republished from Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 2009;27(2):179-194.)
- DeSandre PL, contributing item writer for HPM PASS (2nd Edition, 2010 and 3rd Edition 2012), an electronic study guide and practice exam for the Hospice and Palliative Medicine specialty board exam, sponsored by the American Association of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. (currently accessible on-line: www.aahpm.org).
- Glajchen M, Lawson R, Homel P, Desandre P, Todd KH. A rapid two-stage screening protocol for palliative care in the emergency department: a quality improvement initiative. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2011;42(5):657-662.
- Bryant EN, Quest TE, DeSandre PL, Weissman DE (2011). Getting Started: Organizing and ED Palliative Care Initiative. A Technical Assistance monograph from the IPAL-EM Project of CAPC.
- DeSandre PL, Stone S, Quest TE, Weissman DE (2011). Four Things to Do in a Week: Integrating Palliative Care Services into the Emergency Department. A Technical Assistance Monograph from the IPAL-EM Project of CAPC.
- DeSandre PL, Quest TE, Harrison R, Weissman DE (2011). Billing for Palliative Care in the ED for EM Providers. A Technical Assistance Monograph from the IPAL-EM (Improving Palliative Care in Emergency Medicine) Project of CAPC (Center for the Advancement of Palliative Care).
- Quest TE, DeSandre PL (2012). “Palliative Care in the Emergency Department.” Jesus J, Rosen P, Adams J, Derse AR, Grossman SA, Wolfe R. (eds). Ethical Problems in Emergency Medicine: A Discussion-based Review. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell. (pp79-87)
- DeSandre PL, Quest TE, editors (2013). Palliative Aspects of Emergency Care. Oxford American Palliative Care Library. New York: Oxford University Press (ISBN 978-0-19-989561-8).
- Venkat A, McGrath N, DeSandre P, Phillips E. Ethical Tensions in Emergency Medicine: How to Balance the Personal and the Organizational, ACEP Now. 2014, October 23 Issue.
- Lamba S, DeSandre PL, Todd KH, Bryant EN Chan GK, Grudzen CR, Weissman DE, Quest TE. Integration of palliative care into emergency medicine: the improving palliative care in emergency medicine (IPAL-EM) collaboration. Journal of Emergency Medicine 2014;46(2):264-270.
- DeSandre PL, May K (2014). “Palliative and End-of-Life Care in the Emergency Department.” Kahn J, Magauran B, and Olshaker J. (eds). Geriatric Emergency Medicine, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press (pp. 322-335)
- Siegelman J, DeSandre P, Quest T. Child Death Disclosure - Standardized Patient Case. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2015. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10051 http://dx.doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10051
- DeSandre PL, May K (in press). “Palliative Care in the Emergency Department.” Cherny N, Fallon M, Kaasa S, Portenoy R, and Currow D. (eds). Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine, Fifth Edition. Oxford UK: Oxford University Press.
- View publications on PubMed